Careers Advice for Parents/Carers
Young people today are living in a rapidly changing world and so preparing our students for the challenges and opportunities out there is a vital aspect of their education. Arnewood School is committed to developing and arming each individual student with the most up to date research and knowledge as they progress through the different key stages.
A key element to aiding a student’s development is instilling the valuable ideals of responsibility and independence to forge their own paths forward. Working in partnership with parents, the Careers Department guides and supports students in an enthusiastic and professional relationship throughout their time here at the school.
How can you help?
- Talk about careers regularly at home – the different jobs you may have had, how you decided on your current career path and what you have learned from all of your combined experiences.
- Share your CV and help them in producing their own. Going through the motions of detailing their skills, experiences and qualifications on paper can really help students to see their current development clearly.
- Work with your child to look at the prospects and career pilot and discuss their options.
- Run through typical interview questions and talk about your own encounters – both good and bad! All of our students take part in a practise interview with a real local employer when they reach Year 12 – a vital but sometimes daunting experience. Learning how to present themselves professionally and keeping a cool head in an interview situation is a valuable skill which will benefit them for the rest of their lives.
- Check out the links provided on the Resources page. There is a wealth of information and guidance available out there, tailored for both students and to yourself as a parent to help walk you through the variety of routes and opportunities possible.
- Attend our events such as the year 8 options evening, Arnewood Sixth open evening and the annual university talk delivered by Mr. Colman.
- Give us feedback! We are always looking to develop and evolve our careers education provision so please do get in contact if you have any comments or suggestions.
- Get directly involved yourself! If you work for an employer who would be willing to support our careers education providing, be that through presenting an assembly, attending a Fair as an exhibitor, or being a practise interviewer, we would love to hear from you. Head over to the Employer page to find out more.
Link to employers page