Skip to content

German KS4

Aims:
  • To promote an interest in and encourage active engagement in learning German.
  • To develop cultural awareness of Germany as well as other German speaking countries.
  • To enable students to understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of sources and discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in German.
  • To enable students to speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
  • To enable students to write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.

 

Content:
Years 9 & 10
Year 11
  • Key vocabulary – relationships, marriage and partnership, social media, mobile technology, music/cinema/television, food, eating out, sport, Germany’s regions and customs, German festivals, where I live, charity/voluntary work, healthy/unhealthy living, the environment, poverty and homelessness, holidays/travel, school life and subjects, college, jobs, career choices and ambitions.
  • Key vocabulary – revision of previously covered topics including extension vocabulary for higher tier

 

 

 

  • Key grammar – present tense, future tense, perfect tense, pronouns, adjectives including comparative/superlative, negatives, asking questions, imperfect tense, conditional tense, cases, prepositions, modal verbs, wenn/weil clauses, the imperative.
  • Key grammar – revision of previously learnt grammar with a focus on higher tier grammar items

 

 

  • Key skills – listening and reading for gist and detail, coping with speaking and writing including translation.

 

  • Key skills – dealing with longer texts, speaking and writing with increasing complexity and confidence, including justification and paraphrasing, development of examination skills.

 

Key assessment details:

In Years 9 and 10 students will be assessed regularly using vocabulary tests, ongoing assessment during lessons, GCSE examination-style tasks as well as through homework. There will be at least two formal assessment points during the year where the students will be tested in the four skill areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing. In Year 11 students will sit a formal mock examination in all four skills in the autumn term. In late April or early May they will sit their final oral examination which accounts for 25% of their GCSE grade. The remaining 75% is divided equally between three further examinations in listening, reading and writing. Students will be entered for the AQA GCSE at either Foundation or Higher Tier across the four skill areas. Foundation Tier will give access to grades 1-5 and Higher Tier to grades 4-9.

Back to Top
angle-up arnewood-logo-star email facebook gryphon map-marker PDF Iconpdf phone twitter